Many people have asked me how I’ve been able to improve my Alexa from 2,000,000 to 115,000 in about four months. I’d like to share with you ten simple and free ways to improve your Alexa ranking. For those of you who don’t know, Alexa is a tool that ranks website traffic. For example an Alexa ranking of 100,000 means that your site is the 100,000 most visited site on the web. Of course, this is not always accurate but it does give some estimation of a site popularity.
How does Alexa work?
Alexa measures your site’s ranking by gathering data from visitors with the Alexa toolbar installed. By the way this is the key to improving your ranking. (You do not have to install the toolbar to have a ranking though.)
Why would you want to improve you ranking?
- It makes you feel good and gives you bragging rights.
- More importantly it means that your site is popular, which creates a viral effect.
Some random Alexa rankings:
Here are the top 500 sites.
Besides from driving more traffic to your site, here are 10 other ways to improve your Alexa ranking:
- Install the Alexa toolbar, and set your site as your homepage in your browsers.
- Add an Alexa widget, button or graph to your site.
- Get reviews and ratings on the Alexa site.
- Write or blog about Alexa (as I am doing now.)
- Share your site in webmaster forums, since many members have the toolbar installed.
- Write content related to “techish,” “web” people, so that they are attracted to your site.
- Make sure your site is active on Twitter, Facebook, Digg, Delicious and StumbleUpon.
- Join Asian social networks, the Alexa toolbar is very popular in the Asian tech community.
- Set up a freebie page, tool or resource list, free e-book that attracts other people who may have the Alexa toolbar installed.
- Don’t forget, more traffic = better!
If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know below.